Friday, September 6, 2019

DFI Session Seven- Dealing with Data

The focus of Dorothy's presentation was about connectedness. Dorothy believes connectedness is powerful when...

  • teaching and learning is visible,
  • learners (and teachers) have are empowered (have agency), and
  • ubiquity is supported


​When learning about the Manaiakalani kaupapa I was amazed to see the number of learners involved in Manaiakalani and the outreach. 22,000 LEARNERS in total.


  • 64 english medium primary
  • 10 Catholic special character ( 1 secondary)
  • 3+ Kura Kaupapa Maori and
  • 14 secondary schools
  • 1 special school
  • Smallest school - 25 Te Hapua
  • 1 area school.
Today was a day of firsts, first time using MyMaps and the first time using Google Forms. Below is my first attempt at using MyMaps to plot points from data collected from Google Forms. With my chosen destination being Fiji! 



We were given the opportunity to explore forms. This was a part of the G-suite that I had not navigated yet so I was excited to be making my first Google Form. I can see a lot of potential for using this in the classroom, collecting student voice and whānau voice in a way that was safe for those who were sharing, for example it can be anonymous so their name is not attached to the form.






A handy hint to work smarter not harder... text wrapping in Google sheets. I took the time to practice a Screencastify too which shows you simple it is with just two clicks!


3 comments:

  1. What a well written post, very informative, great for me as I'm sitting here recapping. I hope you get back to Fiji very soon. So glad that I featured in your Form, and I could instantly tell which response on my Form was from you... love being your co-Google Geek (that's gonna stick) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not even sure what text wrapping in google sheets was. Good summary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Briar,
    once again we were given lots of new stuff to absorb. You did well to get all this summarised plus a Screencastify. Was there meant to be speech in it? I couldn't hear anything if there was.
    See you next week.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about