Monday, July 29, 2019

DFI Session One- Core Business


When hearing others talk about Manaiakalani you often hear about the Digital Technologies aspect.Throughout Dorothy's dialogue around the Origin's of Manaiakalani the model of Learn, Create, Share was explained explicitly. Teachers have had the LEARN aspect of this model in their classroom. Students come into our classrooms and they are prepared to learn. The create and share are  explained as the ‘hooks’ for learning. The CREATE aspect of this model is about hooking the learners in. This is where I feel my misconceptions about Manaiakalani  had set in, feeling as if this aspect needed to be completed digitally. I was soon able to see it’s not about just creating digitally its about showing creativity through whatever media students choose. SHARE allows students to share to an audience and enables them to connect with other learners. Through this information I was able to see that the Learn, Create, Share model is about embracing students creativity and giving them an audience to share their creativity with. 

The 'leveling up' aspect to our Digital Fluency Intensive introduced me to multiple extensions and add-on that would save me time. One add-on I feel I would find multiple uses for is Change Case. I can see myself using this add-on when copying a class list from eTAP, the last names are always uppercase. There are often times it would be handy to be able to select the column of last names and convert them to just having the first letter capatalised.  

Something that challenged me during this workshop was learning how to embed a Google Doc into a blog post.  Below is my first attempt! I created a home page for the Tupapa app where students will be able to access the 5 stories about our ancestors who journeyed from Polynesia to Turanganui-a-Kiwa (Gisborne) more than 700 years ago.


2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your concise reflections from the DFI, enjoy the ride and I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being visible is a message you have captured well from our day at Tonui Collab. See you tomorrow for DFI Day 7!

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about