Friday, August 9, 2019

DFI Session Three- Serious about sites


Today I was excited to be able to create a website that I would be able to use in my classroom. I used this time to create a website that I could use with my class around our current integrated study topic, Kia manawanui which includes exploring Māori Myths and Legends. 

When making my first Google Site, I tried to stick to a basic layout that allowed me to use multiple elements within the new Google sites. First job, pick a theme- a very important part to the whole process of course! I found navigating Google sites quite easy, everything is user friendly and meant when experimenting with making a site I was able to explore a lot of aspects through the side navigation bar. I first started with using pictures as a card. Which is shown below. Each card takes you through to a different story that relates to the legend Rangi and Papa.



Mission completed- now to see if I can extend what I already have. Skimming through the slides I was able to see a slide about creating buttons in google drawings. Although it took me awhile I was able edit my website and turn the cards into circular buttons. Personally for my learners I feel like having a round button is a visual representation of being a button rather than just a pretty sure on the screen. Below is the cards transformed into circular buttons.



I love the internet

I am leaving today with a lot of new learning as well as some more learning to follow up at home. Including looking at the highly recommended Sir Ken Robinson TED talk.  I am also hoping to extend my google site to include other Māori Myths and Legends. I have a feeling I will be heading home and continuing to explore all that is Google sites.  



5 comments:

  1. Kia ora Briar,
    I'm impressed that you created the buttons on your site. I would love to have a link to the site on your post so we can take a look. I'm also keep to work on why your site looks so narrow.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briar,
    wow - those buttons look great I'm sure that making them provides the learners with a target that lures them to click. Great that you immediately found a way to use this in your class and the resource we explored gave you a window into the multi-modal texts for learners to access.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Mission completed' should be the theme of your entire blog post, you nailed Sites! Love your exemplar here, it looks so slick. Buttons = fab! Thanks for all the support and the great sounding board you provide for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your Blog and the Google Site you created are seriously impressive Briar! Very professional looking. I would love to know how you made your buttons round, hopefully you can show me next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briar your site is amazing. I love that we are sharing these sites ... I can show our tamariki and then I can say just casually ... "yeah she's my friend" ... ha ha. Seriously though Briar, I've known you for many years now and I am just blown away at how fabulous you are. You are exactly the role model our rangatahi need. Your tauira are lucky to have you. I love your enthusiasm, professionalism ... just awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about